A wee new site - orcforge.net

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

A wee new site - orcforge.net

Post by Minstrel »

I have set up a new site dedicated to reviewing back-in and out of print material for AD&D and other classic gaming systems. Zherbus has already contributed a TON of material in the form of reviews of some classic TSR products, and I just wrapped up a review of net-published character sheets.

I'm hoping to run this site as a compliment to the existing OOP gaming community rather than as another discussion or content site in competition for viewership and membership: one that can give some fair and solid reviews of free material and highlights of up-and-coming product. In fact, Halaster's given the OK to run a sneak-preview of RoUIII, complete with some text from the room's he's developing and maybe even a peek at some of the new dungeon dressing cards!

So for those who care to visit and sign up, come on by OrcForge.net

btw Halaster gave his blessings for this shameless plug :wink:
Blackmote
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Blackmote »

very nice site, Minstrel. Great work by everyone involved. I may have to break out some of my old modules and submit a review. ;)
Nothing is so terrible that a huge red dragon can't make it just a hell of a lot worse.
-Dragon Magazine, issue #194, pg. 3
Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

Be glad to have you contribute Blackmote. If you sign up and find something you'd like to review for orcforge, just shoot me an email at minstrel {at} orcforge.net or pm me here and I can escalate your account to be able to write reviews, or blog too.

I have a lot of flexibility with the site, and I'm not sure yet how far I want to go with things. I could easily set up forums, or let any registered user maintain his or her own blog pages. Right now signing up lets you post comments and participate in polls or fill out forms (pm-ing to come soon). Any feedback is welcome.
Blackmote
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Blackmote »

registered... and posted a response to the Tome of Magic review.

more to come. :)

Thanks!

~Hoyt.
Nothing is so terrible that a huge red dragon can't make it just a hell of a lot worse.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

It's looking good Minstrel! :D

One thing though...the images of the character sheets open a window to a pop up that shows a crossed out camera (ie not allowed). Are the sheets supposed to show?

Also, I'd love to contribute the reviews I wrote for ADDC.com for the new site. :wink:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Blackmote
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Blackmote »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:It's looking good Minstrel! :D

One thing though...the images of the character sheets open a window to a pop up that shows a crossed out camera (ie not allowed)...
:| hrmmm... they worked fine for me on both IE and Firefox.
Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:It's looking good Minstrel! :D

One thing though...the images of the character sheets open a window to a pop up that shows a crossed out camera (ie not allowed). Are the sheets supposed to show?

Also, I'd love to contribute the reviews I wrote for ADDC.com for the new site. :wink:
Is it possible you have Javascript disabled in your browser Hal? I'm wondering if that might be the same problem you were having with youtube videos. Works right for me too.

The reviews would be great. I've been browsing through all the old conversations on the addc archive and have come across a few so far.
Last edited by Minstrel on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Odd. They're working now. Musta been an internet burp. :)

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I'll be viewing things every once in a while, but I suspect my tastes are too different after seeing a positive review for the Priests Handbook and a negative one for the Elves one. While I agree that most of the 'Complete' series was pretty poor, I thought some were decent (the Thieves, Bards and Druids were pretty well done, the Priests and Mages are near the bottom for usefulness IN MY OPINION :) ) I thought both the Dwarves one and the Elves one had some good stuff in them (as well as some crap (bladesinger anyone?), but that's pretty standard for most of those books) I expect a lot of people will say the Bards book was crap because of all the duplicated material, but I found it pretty handy when playing one, I could use JUST that book and find almost all the info I needed to play a bard, didn't even need the PHB! The Thieves Handbook has to be by far the best of the bunch IMO, SO much good stuff in there. I don't want lots of variant classes and rules as much as useful stuff that can fit into an existing game without jumping through hoops!

Ok, enough of going completely off-topic, sorry!

Mira (Sometimes I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe)
Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

You are not allowed to have a different opinion! Conform now! :P

Seriously though, you're welcome either way. A healthy debate in the comments is exactly what we need to draw in some interest.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Minstrel wrote:
Is it possible you have Javascript disabled in your browser Hal? I'm wondering if that might be the same problem you were having with youtube videos. Works right for me too.
No, I have scripting enabled. It seems to work now. Still can't figure out that damned youtube thing though. :?