Let's talk Minis!

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Let's talk Minis!

Post by Zherbus »

Through our Atlanta Campaign email group, we've starting waxing poetic about miniatures. I figured this would be a good thread to offer tips, show off some work, and compare notes about the awesomeness that is a good miniature.

I'll start with some images:

Here's a Wyvern that's mostly done (and hopefully intact in my storage box)

Here's a Mage Knight dungeon kit I picked up cheap. Kinda cool looking, but really awkward to bring to a session. It's easier than Dwarven Forge stuff though. Shown are a few Ral Partha miniatures I've always been partial too and some D&D mini Trolls.

This is an old Ral Partha mini I've always thought looked pretty bad ass.

Below is a caster I usually use. I had a blue one from a long time ago that once upon a time looked pretty nice, but he's been chipped and abused over 15 years.

Stuff I need to work on...

Here's a Reaper lich-type undead I really liked. The picture doesn't quite display it's cool factor as much as I'd like.

Finally, here's a neat looking Reaper warrior.

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Good job on those minis, Zherbus! The Wyvern looks incredible! 8)
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Zherbus »

Thanks, Varl.

I have to admit though, probably every 4th comes out with a stream of words unfit for public consumption and ends with "oh well!"
Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

Lots of good AD&D memories in those pictures!

That C&C PH has me hankering to give C&C another shot next time we can get the ol' band back together.

I have to admit, I like those D&D minis for what they are. Enough of them don't suck that you can actually use them as a cheap band of skeletons/orcs/etc without using unpainted minis or spending hours painting.
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Re: Let's talk Minis!

Post by Algolei »

It must be spring! Time to get out in the wide world and do some spray painting -- I've got, jeez, at least thirty figures that need priming.
Zherbus wrote:Below is a caster I usually use. I had a blue one from a long time ago that once upon a time looked pretty nice, but he's been chipped and abused over 15 years.

Ooh, I've got two of those figure too! One's robe is brown, the other's is white.

(I wish I had the skillz to take good pictures, but I don't know enough about photography even to understand another person's instructions on how to do it.)

I'm currently painting a figure of Orcus. Alas, I screwed it up a bit after taking this picture and had to redo his belly.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Nice work! That wyvern is great, and I'm loving Orcus!

I like that red cleric too! My favorite cleric mini, and mine is painted red also! Great minds... :wink:

Here are some I scanned of my work awhile back:

The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Blackmote
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Blackmote »

wow, cool... nice work everyone! Now I need to get some of my own work photographed or scanned in. I'll try to get that done over the weekend.
Nothing is so terrible that a huge red dragon can't make it just a hell of a lot worse.
-Dragon Magazine, issue #194, pg. 3
Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Zherbus »

That's some really tight work, Hal.
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Nice, Hal!

I see you've got that same Cyclops my sister bought for herself. She asked me to paint it in very specific colours:

It's not finished yet. I just can't muster up enough energy to continue putting pinks and greens onto it! :lol:
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Thanks Zherbus! :)

Algolei, if I came across a cyclops of that color patter, I would RUN! And I mean RUN! :)

Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Algolei, if I came across a cyclops of that color patter, I would RUN! And I mean RUN! :)
She chose those colours to match her living room. :cry: Don't try to imagine it, you can't....

Anyway, it was warm yesterday, so I primed some new figures:

Now I have about 250 primed figures that need me to paint them! Hopefully I'll get 'er done this year. Yeah. This year. 'Cause I've been saying that for at least six years now. I'll never catch up!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Algolei wrote:
She chose those colours to match her living room. Crying or Very sad Don't try to imagine it, you can't....
No need to imagine it. I actually saw it, in a house being sold in my old neighborhood:

Scary huh? :shock:

At least the bedsheets match. Kinda. :lol:

jeffx
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by jeffx »

Miniatures. Use to hate them. Oh, I loved the way they looked but I hated to bring them to the game table. They pulled people's attention away from the game and put it on the table. Not to mention, that Ral Partha mini I had of the warrior with a 2-handed sword and full plate armor? Everyone wanted to make their character look like that. Regardless of equipment availability.

Ignore the fact that I can't put a decent paint job on my living room walls. Forget about a nicely painted miniatures.
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Image

Scary huh? :shock:

At least the bedsheets match. Kinda. :lol:
Gyarghh!!

My sister's livingroom is in darker shades than that. :lol: I just haven't added the dark shading wash to the pink parts yet (except for the hair).

By the way, if you look at the left end of that box of freshly primed figures I posted up there, you might spot my Pokethulhu figure. Someone gave it to me for Christmas.

http://www.sjgames.com/miniatures/pokethulhu/

Its ear-span is 4 and an eighth inches from tip to tip.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Wow, that's some nice work! :) I've got a lot of painted ones, but I've also got 20 primed grey for each one I've finished. But I'm under no illusion that I'll get 'em painted this year. Probably not til I'm finished with school.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!