How strong are those giants?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

How strong are those giants?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

In the original 1E Fiend Folio, on pg. 41 under Giants, it says:

"All giants are very strong, with strengths ranging from 21 to 30 as compared with humans."

Excuse me? A strength of 30? :shock: Where does this come from? The strength charts in the 1E PHB only go up to 18/00. They don't even hit the 19-25 range we have in 2E.

So what's this Strength of 30 nonsense?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

The strengths for above 18/00 are either in the DMG or the Monster Manual, they aren't meant for players :D Anyways, I know I've seen them in the 1E material. If nothing else, they are with the Giant Strength Belts.

But yes, the chart never went to 30, I imagine that's a hold over from the original D&D (which I never played, so I don't know for sure)

It could be that at some point, 18 percentile wasn't being considered and the different break points in the percentile were separate numbers, ie, 18/(01-50) = 19, etc. Then the chart would be extended accordingly. But they probably changed it to percentile to indicate it was still in human range.

Mechanically, 1E and 2E aren't all THAT different, other than the profiencies (which IMO, aren't done all that well) Class wise, I think 1E was much better, a 1E druid was SO much more fun than a 2E druid, it wasn't just some type of cleric. It's also fun not to have upper limits on spells like Fireball, a 20th level caster would get that 20 die fireball, which was fun to roll :D

Mira (Life's a beach, and then you drown.)
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Fro the later monster manuals the strength went from 19-25 for later giants. I think if I remember correctly the Storm Giant was around 23 and Titan was 25.
IXOYE
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

The Monster Manual was first, Fiend Folio didn't come out until MUCH later. (and I never liked it so never bought it). Now I'm going to have to look to see where the first mention of the strength is, my DMG and MM are both first printings and I'm positive we knew the range WAY before the FF existed.

Edit: found it, page 6 of the old Deities and Demigods book printed in 1980.

Mira (Tauren Druids in WoW shifting back... Un-bear-a-bull!)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Mira, I agree totally on the 1E druid. I liked how the druid, illusionist, and magic user had different spell charts. Kinda made them more unique, although some of the spells I re-assigned to make more sense (to me at least). Yeah, I prefer the druid (possibly my favorite class) to be unique.

And spell damage caps were thrown out with me on Day 1, along with demihuman level limits (y'all know how much I hate that rule!).
:twisted: :wink:

Just never could swallow any of the various arguments to justify a 10th level wizard's fireball doing as much damage as a 30th level wizard's fireball. :?

Tawnos, storm giants were 24 and titans 25. And my players have suffered at the hands of both! :twisted:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!