Back to work

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Back to work

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, here's an update.

During the past year, it's been very difficult getting anything done. 2020 was hell on earth. I lost one job (paying $30 an hour) over the mass hysteria of fucking Wuhan flu, and then early in the year I ended up freezing my lungs training outside in the bitter cold and lost my voice. It caused what we call "yin/chi deficiency" in the lungs. I can tell you what many conditions or diseases are called in Chinese Medicine or Ayurvedic Medicine and what we'd call them in Western Medicine, but some things don't translate well from East to West in a way that makes sense in a Western paradigm.

So this yin/chi deficiency caused intermittent fevers. Every time I did a workout, it would trigger a fever that lasted from 1 day to 5 days and I felt exhausted. Then I would be fine, and on the next workout it would trigger again. Granted, they were full-body, 2 hr long workouts lifting upwards of 90,000 lbs total. A bit much for someone in his mid-50s.

People were worrying that I had Wuhan flu. I told them no, I did NOT. Viruses (including Wuhan flu) don't cause intermittent fevers like that. And they were ALWAYS triggered immediately after a workout. NEVER on a day I did NOT work out. During one of the fevers, I had annual blood work done WHILE I HAD THE FEVER and there was no elevation of eosinophils, basophils, WBCs, neutrophils, etc. So nothing infectious was causing it. Still, it knocked my ass out for 2 months. Every workout triggered a fever for a few days. Took a few months of herbal remedies to rebuild my lung chi.

Then we had the shut down and I spent most of my time searching for ammo, toilet paper, and food so I wouldn't run out. Very exhausting, stressful times. Also, during those next 5 or 6 months, I had to work on getting the business going, and getting students trained. So it was sometimes working 7 days a week.

Finally, we got the October and the HOLIDAY SEASON, which I define as Halloween (Oct. 1st - 31st), Thanksgiving (Nov. 1st to Thanksgiving Day) and Xmas (the day after Thanksgving thru Jan. 6th.). I had to do classes during October, and the rest of the time I was just trying to enjoy the holidays. For me, those 3 months are sacred almost. I LIVE for those 3 months. They mean everything to me.

Of course, that got fucked up because the stress of the year and the lung shit put me back into adrenal fatigue, which is harder to fucking cure than cancer, especially when you spent the entire season worrying whether or not you'll have a free country by the new year. I was pretty depressed throughout the holidays, being alone and missing family that are no longer here on top of all the other stresses.

Yes, 2020 was the worst year ever, by far. Just totally draining.

So of course, not much writing got done. But now, things have to change. Aside from prepping and training students and building the business, I need some down time. I need to have time off before I burn out entirely. So I'm going to have to force myself to sit down and write again and polish off those last 20 rooms. I have to use it like medicine.

I'll keep everyone up to date as the rooms wrap up. First thing I need to do is, unfortunately, read through all fucking 200+ pages of material to get my brain wrapped around what I've already done and what still needs to be done. It's hard to be very creative and make a room unique, challenging, and fun after already writing 200+ rooms. Gotta feed the creativity somehow.

But all that said, I hope I can wrap it up soon. Yes, we still need art and we still will need to convert it to PDF and all that. If I can't find a reliable artist, or afford one, I will either start a Go Fund Me or just release it without art or with stock art. Fuck, I'll just use copyrighted art and leave a copyright disclaimer on it if I have to! Once the writing is done, I WILL NOT be waiting months or years for an artist. So let's say this is all wrapped up by summer, or even say fall. I WILL NOT wait until the New Year (2022) to release it if all we're missing is the art. That sucks, but we've all been waiting long enough.

Wish me luck!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Re: Back to work

Wrapping up two rooms just now. One word...

GHAUNADANS

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Sitting down to hopefully finish a few more rooms tonight. Some of the rooms left to do are extensive complexes, so even doing one a night is an accomplishment. What I mean is, for example, on Level 8, Room #5 was actually 5 rooms (#5A-#5E). Room #20 ( a massive area) is 9 rooms in one complex (#20A-#20I). Level 8, just the core room descriptions, is already 78 pages of size 10 font, single spaced. The Areas of Interest runs another 16 pages, so a total of 94 pages just for Level 8...and there are 20 rooms to go! So figure 134 pages for just the entire room descriptions of Level 8 alone. :shock:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Writing up a room now populated with tiraphegs - one of my favorite bizarre creatures from the original Fiend Folio. I am making their story (where they came from, what they do) very interesting. They're just one of the forgotten creatures from 1E that I wanted to use in Undermountain. Bizarre as hell, and the room(s) they inhabit reflect this strangeness. Oh, this room is going to be fun!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I actually am not sure how many published products ever used Tiraphegs. I rather enjoyed the creatures from mmii & the ff. When I got my hands on a pdf of the fiend factory and other books I saw strangeness that was pretty off the charts. So many egg monsters.

I only keep a hanful of physical products near me in a secure box. UM is one of those. Oddly, the core books are not. I've been purchasing odd stuff lately.? If you ever saw the El Raha Key archive & Sunken Ruins, you probably wouldn't be impressed. There is a copy of Raja on TheTrove (or was). I dl'd it but i wanted the sunken ruins. Eh, its ... ok. Dark Druids was better and The Eight Kings was also ok.

You watch. I bought and BAM! a pdf will end up archived somewhere. A couple if Gygax Fantasy Master products on thetrove were crappy scans. I might pick those up as I picked up the ones that weren't scanned. I just don't sit at the computer much. I finally got sent the program structure to get CORE RULES 1.0 to run on modern cpu via dosbox. It isn't perfect and Core 2.0 does a better job. Can't print maps though sbd its a .map file. Core 2 doesn't read that. A 1995 mapper program. It was the only reason I wanted to get thr program running. All i can do is screenshot maps and cut/paste together. Eh, at least i got tgag far with a lot of help. I might purchase launchbox and tinker.

Core 2 exp has its issue with its neutered version kf campaign cartographer. Yes I have base CC3 but the point is a product should work. I don't want to fiddle with registry values. I swore there was a patch. Needs looking into. Ok products that needed further developement. I believe core 2 really wanted to sell digital 2e books to use through the program. Short lived.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

McDeath wrote:
I actually am not sure how many published products ever used Tiraphegs. I rather enjoyed the creatures from mmii & the ff. When I got my hands on a pdf of the fiend factory and other books I saw strangeness that was pretty off the charts. So many egg monsters.
I loved the FF! Death knights (only 12 exist and are created by Demogorgon - awesome!), eye of fear and flame, crypt things, shockers, the Slaad lords, and of course the uber-bizarre flumph and tirapheg!
I only keep a hanful of physical products near me in a secure box. UM is one of those. Oddly, the core books are not.
You chose wisely! :twisted: :wink:
If you ever saw the El Raha Key archive & Sunken Ruins, you probably wouldn't be impressed. There is a copy of Raja on TheTrove (or was). I dl'd it but i wanted the sunken ruins. Eh, its ... ok. Dark Druids was better and The Eight Kings was also ok.
Those were the ones published by Rob Kuntz with his Pied Pipe Publishing?
You watch. I bought and BAM! a pdf will end up archived somewhere.
Doesn't it always work that way? #@
A couple if Gygax Fantasy Master products on thetrove were crappy scans. I might pick those up as I picked up the ones that weren't scanned. I just don't sit at the computer much. I finally got sent the program structure to get CORE RULES 1.0 to run on modern cpu via dosbox. It isn't perfect and Core 2.0 does a better job. Can't print maps though sbd its a .map file. Core 2 doesn't read that. A 1995 mapper program. It was the only reason I wanted to get thr program running. All i can do is screenshot maps and cut/paste together. Eh, at least i got tgag far with a lot of help. I might purchase launchbox and tinker.

Core 2 exp has its issue with its neutered version kf campaign cartographer. Yes I have base CC3 but the point is a product should work. I don't want to fiddle with registry values. I swore there was a patch. Needs looking into. Ok products that needed further developement. I believe core 2 really wanted to sell digital 2e books to use through the program. Short lived.
The computer programs always gave me headaches! I even got myself Realmsworks for Xmas last year (or was it 2020?) and rarely use it.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Well, back in late April we had 22 rooms left (actually, 24 because I had to add two new ones). Today, just a few weeks later, that number is down to just 12 rooms left. I managed to crank out 12 rooms in 3 weeks. Four of these rooms are pretty easy to write and I should have them done in the next week and a half at most, so by May 22nd. That will leave only 8 other rooms before the room descriptions are 100% complete! :D

Now those 8 rooms will probably take me until the end of June to write because, while they are only 8 rooms, there are some massive rooms and room complexes and therefore quite detailed. Still, that means that over the summer I can wrap up the 3 mini-adventures for the Adventures Booklets, wrap up any auxiliary text, details a few NPCs that still need write ups, and after that it's pretty much format and publish! Well, we need to get an artist. Working on that. Still. :evil: In the time it's taken, I should have gone to fucking art school - at this point I'd be the next Larry Elmore and could have done the damned art myself! :roll:

But yes, this is very good news. The three mini-adventures are all planned out so it's just a matter of polishing the prose and detailing the adventures in full script. And let me tell you all, these mini-adventures are really, really exciting! Some of the most exciting parts of the entire Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels project!