Ruins of Undermountain III: Adventures Booklet

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Ruins of Undermountain III: Adventures Booklet

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

As they had in the original RoU, we're doing a booklet that has mini-adventures in it. Two of the adventures detail small sub-levels within Undermountain and the third deals with a far-away exotic location that PCs arrive in when gated out of Undermountain via a specific gate. I'm looking forward to finishing these mini-adventures because they're going to be very exciting gems and very important to the overall structure of Undermountain. One in particular is going to be one of the best ideas I've ever had for the FR! :)
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Sounds awesome Hal. I'm so glad the wellspring of inspiration is flowing.

Of course, its like hanging juicy meat in front of starving wolverines but such is the nature of the beast.

Cheers.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Yeah, I know a lot of people are chomping at the bit to see this. I can tell you this - I've really learned to appreciate why there are so few mega-dungeon or large scale adventures out there compared to short ones. When you have hundreds of rooms, once you get towards the end it's as if you're sitting there (as the writer) saying to yourself:

"Ok, what NEW thing can I put in this room? What sort of monsters/traps/puzzles have I NOT used yet?"

Same thing placing treasure. During the proofing recently, I realized I put a rare tome (a libram of ineffable evil to be precise) several times in treasure troves. So there's also trying to avoid duplicating magic items.

The closer it gets to finished, the harder it is to be creative. So it's been work! But as I said - luckily! - about half of the rooms left are already planned and partially plotted, so that cuts in half the amount of new ideas I need to create in the coming months.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!