Update - August 2022

General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Update - August 2022

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok guys, here's some updated news. I figured I'd start a new thread since it's been awhile.

I've been getting in the mood to write, which is good since I only have technically 12 rooms left for Level 8 in order to wrap up all the room descriptions for the entire box set. Here's what's making this slow...

Last year when fucking Windows crashed, I had to take the computer in to get the hard-drive salvaged and transferred to a new solid state drive because some of the material was not yet backed up. I was doing regular backups but some days I don't. It crashed while I was fucking writing the rooms for Level 8! :roll:

So I took the computer to a local guy, who we shall now refer to as Jag-Off because the fucking prick never answers his phone. Anyway, Jag-Off did a decent job transferring everything but a few things got fucked up in the transfer. For example, with Level 7 I had back ups dated:

3-1-19
7-13-19
5-27-21

Note that Level 7 was completed long before 2019. It was just I had to make some changes over time. Well, the latest dated backup file (that I can find so far) - dated 5-27-21 0 opens to just one blank page. So that one is fucked. Not sure what was changed on it. Might have just been typos I found. Might have been a change in actual script from the 7-13-19 version. No idea.

Windows must have been fucking up because even the copy I had on the back up hard drive shows a blank page for that updated page.

The good news is that it looks like all the material is there. For example, I had 12 rooms left for Level 8 (I kept saying 10 but I realized it was indeed 12 - I miscounted on earlier posts). And I have 12 rooms left on the latest updated file (7-13-19). Luckily, I would date it...its like this. I would simply save a current document as Level 7 - Core Room Descriptions. Then I would save it each time I added writing. In Word I would simply hit "Save". It was also set to auto-save every 10 minutes. Eventually after weeks or months I would save it as a new file, say Level 7 - Core Room Descriptions - Updated 7-13-19. That would leave 2 files:

Level 7 - Core Room Descriptions
Level 7 - Core Room Descriptions - Updated 7-13-19

I would then do more work on Level 7 - Core Room Descriptions - Updated 7-13-19, then hit "Save". Week after week saving it with more rooms written as the same file. Eventually I would - after a random period of time, when the mood hit me - resave the Level 7 - Core Room Descriptions - Updated 7-13-19 file and update it to Level 7 - Core Room Descriptions - Updated 5-27-21. That way I knew it was the most recent writing. So when I updated it from 7-13-19 to 5-27-21, that time span is almost 2 years but it could have been the case where the material in the 5-27-21 file had maybe just a few typos changed or perhaps just a few sentences added compared to the file dates 7-13-19. In other words, I may have added material to the 7-13-19 file on 5-26-21, then simply hit "Save" and it saved as 7-13-19. Then the next day (5-27-21) I might have added a single period (.) or a sentence or made a tiny notation and then saved it as 5-27-21.

Convoluted, I know.

What I'm saying is that the difference between two dated documents could be a difference of as many as 20 rooms and dozens of pages, or as little as a fixed typo (misspelling) with no changes to content.

And I have lots of similarly named files. And I saved them to multiple files and an extra hard drive for redundancy. So now it's a matter of simply looking for and verifying the most recent material, checking to see if it adds up - i.e. my Level 8 Room Planning document says I have 12 rooms left for Level 8 (Rooms #18,19,20,21,27,35,etc.) and the writing in my Level 8 Core Rooms Description document shows everything is written and completed except those 12 rooms, then it matches and we're good.

I may forget what's in all the rooms off the top of my head but when I look at the map, or the writing, every detail I wrote comes back 100%, meaning if there is something missing, I'll realize its missing. I may not know precisely the exact words I wrote, but I will realize there is something missing.

So this week I'll be doing a new total backup and making sure everything is on track. I have to check the To Do list and the Changes Needed list and make sure everything is up to date from when I left off. This is such a hassle because it's about 300 pages of writing (counted in Word) and about 157,081 words just for all the room descriptions of the 3 levels (i.e. not counting NPC write ups, monsters, etc.). :shock:

Most authors consider a fiction book to average 280 words per page, depending on font size, border space, etc. But that's the average. If we go by that, this is a 561 page book. So far! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So over the next week or so I plan on streamlining it and creating a folder so I can sort and store only the most recent work so that I'm working off the most complete version of everything. Even so, there are a lot of details to check - links between levels, links between teleports, etc. It's truly a massive undertaking. What I'd love to do is be able to wrap up the room descriptions - the last 12 rooms - after all this sorting, in September. October is a busy month for me because of Halloween. I have to watch 2 movies a night to squeeze in all my 90 favorite horror movies, plus there are dozens of horror comics (Werewolf By Night, Tomb of Dracula, etc.) and a dozen or so monster magazines to read. This on top of managing 2 jobs (5 hrs. a day on one, the other more a pay by job set up) and workouts, training, special Halloween events, etc. So October is hard for me to do anything other than Halloween related stuff because I have so little time free. November eases up because from Nov. 1st to Thanksgiving, I have a sort of laid back nostalgia time where I look through old family pics and films, watch a handful of movies that take me back to Thanksgivings when I was a kid (The Time Machine - the original movie, literally takes me back in time!). But the pace is laid back and slow. I use that time to unwind and relax after the crazy busy Halloween season and the year in general. So I can do some writing then. Once Christmas season kicks in, it's hard to write Undermountain. I have about 24 Xmas movies I watch, so about 1 night. Plus I read tons of books about Christmas through the ages and what not. I just soak up Xmas! I also have a tradition that dates back for...let's see...8 to 10 years at least! I've been writing a final adventure for my long running Taladas campaign (even though the last player moved out of state years ago and we haven't played in 8 or so years). Its' my most fondly remembered campaign of all time. So every year at Xmas I spend time working on the latest story - where the PCs travel to Nordheim (a North Pole like continent) where it's cold and snowy and there are Vikings and rune casters and giants and all sorts of Norse dragons, etc. I add some work on it every year, picking up where I left off the year before. It's a large adventure involving Cryonax and it's become an annual Xmas tradition to work on it each year.

Whew! Wordy today, huh?

Anyway, bottom line I'll be sorting everything out and hopefully getting those last 12 rooms knocked out (they're already pre-planned and some are partially written in rough form so it shouldn't be too tough). Once I do that, the room descriptions for all 3 levels is 100% complete, the monster write ups are 100% complete, the magic items are 100% complete, the NPCs I think I have just a few left to detail (no huge amount of work), the spells are 100% complete, etc. All that will be left is to flesh out the 3 mini-adventures, of which 1 is virtually all figured out already. And I am looking forward to those, so those will go quick. Then it's just matter of converting it all to PDF, making sure Govi finishes the maps, and then one final proof reading and viola! DONE! :D
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Re: Update - August 2022

Post by McDeath »

I have lost entire projects to viruses and malfunctioning computers. The worse was when even backups had the infections or the computer was so old the drive wiped or broke.

My worse offense was my Phlan Pools of Radiance and Curse of Azure bonds merging of the CRPG, webpages, the books, and the FRC adventures. Curse was 1/8th done but Pools was just reformatting pages and shifting content around and checking for mistakes. POOF.

Another was my extensive DOS collaboration on Forgotten Realms Unlimted Archive CRPG Construction Set. I only had floppy disks and early dialup. A single virus corrupted everything.

The last was my Diablo to 2e completion project which died mostly due to hardware failure,

The FR Archives nearly destroyed my interest in computers. I never picked that project back up.

The Phlan Pools was the most devastating because it was two computers that failed and getting all the data to my stardards from the CRPGs was very time consuming. Killed me.

I went to more hoarding after that but just couldn't work on it.

My only other sort of big project was on an amiga500 spreadsheet and word doc (that was slow as snails trying to escape a black holes gravitational pull. That was my basic monster database listing not only the monsters and sources but HD/hp, xp, no app, AC, notes. I printed that out but i never got it converted to pc. I saw SBLAXMAN had a document similar but perhaps not as detailed. I need to review it in more detail.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Goddamn near had a heart attack just now! All the files dated for 5-27-21 (the most current dated files) seem to be corrupted (0 bytes - empty), although I had back ups of all of them - except the core rooms for Level 8! I opened an earlier version of Level 8 Core Rooms and noticed a dozen rooms missing! Then I found the 5-27-21 file for the core rooms and they're all complete and updated to the very last time I wrote material for it!

Now I know what a heart attack feels like! :roll: Whew!

So good to go! I just re-formatted all the spells and set up a new master folder for everything. So this week I'll pick up writing for Level 8, see if I can knock out the last rooms, then move straight into the final read through to check and test for errors (any wrongly linked teleports, etc.). Then it's time to finish the final polished versions of the 3 mini-adventures and we're pretty much done. Got a few minor PCs to detail, but that's not much work.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Cool. Hope you made more backups. I seem to do that pretty regularly now; msybe too much. Lotta copies.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Lots and lots of copies!

When you get a chance, I'd love to hear from you and Garhkal in the RoU Developer forum about those spells I posted. Still trying to figure out what to do with them.