D&D 5E version of Undermountain

General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

D&D 5E version of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I haven't seen it yet, but it's coming up in the next season (season 8 of D&D Adventure League). There's adventuring from 1-5 in Waterdeep,then 6-20 in Undermountain. From what I've heard, Undermountain is quite deadly, and very likely not survivable by most groups. I'm also hearing there is going to be more levels involved than the original. I look forward to seeing what actually comes out. It probably won't be as good as what has been done here, but might be interesting none the less.

Mira (A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Is that the one where they're going to detail 23 levels in just 256 pages?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Probably. I know a forum poster who was hired to do some of the maps (probably to the company’s specification). We will see what style he was commissioned to do. His usual style is usually old school b/w. Easy to read and none of that 3D crap (though he certainly can do that and color).

But 256 pages.... psh. I saw a 5th ed Strahd book of maps that was 96 pages alone. Just maps. And 5th isn’t in the style of short descriptions so I doubt it’s room number: mob, treasure, trap listing style of 70s/80s.

It’ll be a mess and they’ll add 30 more books to fix it.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

My guess is that the levels will be much much smaller. Maybe somewhere on par with 3.5 edition expedition to castle greyhawk. It will be nowhere near what the dungeon really is.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Given how everything post-2E has sucked, and gotten worse each edition, I don't see them doing it any justice. Like I detailed elsewhere, you simply cannot detail 20 levels in 250 pages, minus the auxiliary and introductory text and all the non-room description content. You'd be lucky to get 10 pages per level, which is bird feed.

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I work with a girl that plays 5E. :? Why are they still cranking out every worse crap? :roll:
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

To keep the lemmings buying new shit. Seriously, that's all it is. Once a product changes from trying to produce quality for a discriminating niche audience to trying to peddle to a mass audience, it has to do 2 things...

1. Dumb it down. Kids these days would never be able to make it past chapter one of the 1E DMG without throwing it down in frustration.

2. Keep updating and changing things to keep people buying.

That's the easy way out. If you just keep putting out high quality material, the edition can last 10 or 12 years or more, like 1E and 2E did. Or you can peddle crap and then force everyone to "upgrade" every 2.5 years or so.

WOTC chose the latter, because there are enough people with more money than common sense who will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars every few years to buy a new edition and all the trimmings.

Humbug! I have enough 1E/2E material to last me another couple HUNDRED years of gaming. Never needed 3E+.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Look at movies, tv shows, games (tabletop and console / computer) and life skills and job period. It’s dumbed down and set up for lazy people. I had no idea people. And a living playing video games, talking on YouTube, writing blogs, giving restaurant reviews, etc.

That ain’t fucking work! Throw my ass in the field with a shovel, axe, saw scythe, or any such manual tool and I’ll be thinking.... FUCK YEAH!!! RIP N TEAR BITCHES!!!

I hate being cooped up.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Smaller maps? I hope not. I like mega dungeon sized maps. You might be right though unless they publish a map book. Strahd has a map book as did storm giants fighter, dragon queens treasure, and others.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Just saw this:
http://classicmodulestoday.com/modules-conversion-list/

Scroll down to ROU. Seems someone attempted to convert the module to 5e. Oh I wonder how that looks.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Dear god! Can you even imagine the butchery it's gone through to become a 5E product? :shock: :roll:

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Oh I misread the DMGuild page. It’s a “guide” on how to. You have to have the original product.
What this Conversion Is, and What it Is Not:

This conversion is for the original module, as it was written. Classic Modules Today conversions are designed to convert the magic items, monsters, traps, and other key statistics from the original module into 5th edition. These guides set the adventure in the Forgotten Realms, and may offer some additional notes on running the adventure, or suggestions for extra encounters, but they are primarily conversions that are faithful to the original module.

Per guidelines from One Book Shelf and Wizards of the Coast, we are not permitted to revise or reinvent these adventures; we may only convert the above elements over to their corresponding 5th Edition counterparts.
For further information about using Classic Modules Today, see here.
Yeah, since I don’t play 5e I wouldn’t purchase a guide. So every module is getting a guide. Sheesh, I guess various authors on guidemakung are trying to earn a few bucks literally (guides usually go for $3 each)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Lazy writers. Just changing stats to 5E nonsense. Such a lazy way to earn a living!