Someone restrain me before I rip my hair out!

General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Someone restrain me before I rip my hair out!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

This is pissing me off beyond words. We're trying to stick to the original format and everything so as to present a true, faithful and honest sequel to the original box set (Ruins of Undermountain). Well I just realized something.

Now that I have completed all of Level 7, the sub-level, and half of Level 8, I realized that I'm numbering the rooms differently. Here's what I mean...

If there is a room complex - for example see the Level 7 map posted elsewhere on another thread - there are several adjoined rooms or areas that make up a room complex. Looking at Level 7 as the example, there is a complex of Rooms # 37A, 37B, 37C, 37D, 37E, 37F, and 37G. They are basically individual rooms that make up a room complex. It's done this way when there is an area, such as Rooms #37A-G, that makes up an interconnected set of rooms where it's not appropriate to label them #37, #38, #39, etc because they are so intimately related as to form one encounter area. However, the areas within the complex are distinct enough that you have to label them as sub-rooms simply because you'd never be able to describe that room complex if it was all one room (i.e. Room #37, period).

So naturally I numbered them sequentially - #37A, #37B, etc.

Well, I just realized something. For some ungodly reason, my mind glossed over the fact that in the original box set, the numbering system looked like this:

Room #37, #37A, #37B,#37C, etc.

So the main room was numbered as below...

Room #24: The Chamber of the Well

#24A
#24B
#24C
#24D

No title for the sub-rooms.

See the difference? They numbered the first room of a room complex with a whole number and a title, then each attached sub-area simply had a number with a room description (no room title). I did it differently. I'll make up something so as not to reveal any info, but for sake of example:

Room #24A: The Chamber of the Well

#24B: Deadly Privy
#24C: Holding Cells
#24D: Laboratory
#24E: Wizard's Quarters

So I have two choices. Either I have to re-number all the rooms to reflect the fact that the first room of a complex does not have a letter after it, or I can keep it as is and do it slightly differently from the original.

I want it to be faithful. On the other hand, I think the method I used is a more correct way of doing it because if you have a series of related rooms, why would the second room start with letter A? The first one wouldn't have a letter. If it were an outline, sure. But it's not. The first room is always detailed and described, so it makes no sense for it to be letter-less and the second room starting with the first letter.

Fuck, I' not sure I'm even making sense. Today sucked. I've been tweaking a map problem in Gimp for 5 hours now - almost could not find a way to correct it, and my mind is mush. No writing happening this evening! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Eh. At least I got the room complex designed properly now, so I can write up the mind flayer enclave laired there. God I love mind flayers! :twisted:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I would leave it as is. If you don't tell people, its likely no one will ever know, plus it seems like it should start with #37A instead of #37, #37A. Your current method clears up any confusion that might happen and give you a fast way to see that its a series of rooms in the campaign guide.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Glad you see it that way. Thanks. I realized that it would be a nightmare to even try to "fix" that now. And as you said, it makes more sense this way.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

I agree as well to keep it as is. It is something that seems more correct and would have liked to have seen in the originals.
Better editing on your part to name everything.
IXOYE
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

There is the option to just have a general description for the pure number (ie. 37 or whichever rooms have multiple section). A basic description basically sums up the function or area and some history as a whole. It might even have side notes that apply to all subsections including generic random encounters or patrols or random or maintenance events. Such a descriptor covers that entire section. It can be as brief or detailed as one wants. I've had to do that with a few dungeons. (libraries, engine rooms, channels, sewers, arenas, congress or government halls, etc).

There are times I think the Original needed some editing as well. I tend to see it in all products, be they modules, manual, magazine (esp), games (computer/board etc). Companies are usually only doing something for the bottom line and sometimes the editors get rushed. That's the great thing about personal products with only yourself as the overhead; YOU can take as much time as you need/want. Those that edit a lot of drafts show commitment that they don't want something just thrown out. It becomes their passion. And everyone who reads or plays such will know it.

So, keep up the good work and don't get too frustrated. Look at your creation with pride (I know some say not a virtue but honestly, feeling good about hard work is fine in my book). We're certainly not going to rush you. This might be your magnum opus, your gnosis, crowning achievement, your masterpiece, your pièce de résistance. Whatever it is... its your passion.