Ways around Undermountain

General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Ways around Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

Having been inspired by your recent progress, I have been working on level 4 some more. I was figuring out ways in and out and seem to recall that at one point I read that stairs between levels stopped at level 3 but for the life of me I cant find where I read that. Does anyone remember reading that? And if so, where? #@
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I don't remember reading that at all.

I know in the description for Area of Interest Z on Level 1, it says (pg. 57):

"Z: is a rough rockface, the site of unfinished excavations. It was abandoned by the Melairkyn dwarves (see The Known History of Undermountain) literally ages ago.

No tools or rubble remain here, but PCs can free several head-sized and slightly larger rocks with 4 rounds of work prying in visible cracks with weapons or tools , as well as many smaller stones.

For easy access to Level Two, Level Three, or lower levels of Undermountain, DMs can easily make this a new passageway to the lower levels."

Area of Interest U also mentions doors leading to entire sub-levels below.

Room #48C (Level 2) says:

"The twisting crevices and corners of this lair are also easily adapted, creating new entrances and tunnels deeper still into Undermountain."

So yes, there are always ways to send PCs lower into the more dangerous depths of Undermountain!

:twisted: :twisted:

Just add staircases or gates however you like. That's what's so great about Undermountain. There's enough room to tweak it to your particular campaign's needs.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I have been putting in gates but was looking for areas to place stairways. I must have read that in a different product. It's gonna bug me for a while now. Thanks for the help!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I'm wondering if that was in a later edition (3E or beyond)? I can't for the life of me remember anything like that, even after going over all my notes for each level. I know even the module Maddgoth's Castle has that sub-level linked to the surface world via a tunnel. So you can definitely put stair anywhere that works for you.

I see some good places (in my eyes at least) to place stairs from Level 3 down to Level 4. On the north map of Level 3 next to the wandering monster tables is a room that's partially rubble (off to the left of the bottom of the Wandering Monster Table. It's a nice secluded area where an old caved-in staircase may be buried beneath rubble.

On the left side of the map, if you measure from the top edge down to the 17" mark (directly following down from the first "U" in Undermountain), there is an 80' x 30' tall rectangular room with 8 pillars along the left side. Just above that and off the the right is a 30' long hallway extending downwards. Perfect spot to add a staircase!

On the south map of Level 3, near the bottom right is Room #68K. Directly northwest of that room is a square off arrow-head shaped room (just across the river) and directly north of that room is a hallway that dead ends in rubble, going north. Another good spot for an old stairway.

I'd argue that Skullport would have some sort of access to the Farms Level, if only to easily bring food to keep the slaves alive long enough to sell them. :twisted:

Hope that helps!

slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I have got Skullport covered. I wrote in a cavern farm run by golems that load their harvest into various gates that transport it around the dungeon. They only transport organic material so any adventurer trying to use them to escape the golem guards will arrive at the destination naked.
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

slade88green wrote:I have got Skullport covered. I wrote in a cavern farm run by golems that load their harvest into various gates that transport it around the dungeon. They only transport organic material so any adventurer trying to use them to escape the golem guards will arrive at the destination naked.
Useful way of removing overpowered equipment
IXOYE
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

And add useful items to Halaster's collections! :twisted: