Two important questions

General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Two important questions

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok, here are the two important issues I mentioned needing to discuss back on the update thread.

First, there is a large cavern on the sub-level. It has several major monsters lurking about. There are therefore 3 treasure hoards. I've detailed two of them. Would it seem lazy to allow the third to be rolled randomly? It's getting to be a real bitch creating unique hoards using magic items and things I haven't used elsewhere. This third monster has an acid breath, so my idea was that the DM should roll randomly using the monster's described treasure type, as the treasure hoard may change over time due to exposure to acid (rings, coins and swords decay, etc).

Or should I bite the bullet and just make it an interesting hoard?

Second, and more importantly is this...

There is a section of the sub-level that is inaccessible because it is not physically connected to the rest of the sub-level. This will make more sense when we release this beast because you'll all be able to see the map. But basically, if one follows the contours of this insanely convoluted level, one will notice that one particular section is not actually physically connected to any other point in the dungeon. It is accessible only via a trapped teleport. If you use the teleport with the correct command word (it's activated by stepping onto it and saying the command word), it takes you to that area. If not, it sends you into a...well, let's just say a very deadly alternate arrival point! :twisted:

However, I have not yet decided where the PCs may find the command word. They have to have some way of finding it, otherwise they're screwed. But this would be a very well protected secret of a very high level mage who really does not like the idea of intruders accessing his personal area (which is filled with private libraries and treasure that would damn near bankrupt Cormyr!).

So...how do I introduce the command word? I was thinking that one of the priests who lairs on that level wrote it down and put it amongst his personal belongings in the priests' quarters (which is one area the PCs are likely to find and rifle through, thus almost assuring they find it). Not sure how else they'll discover it. There must be numerous ways, otherwise there's no point in putting in that area, as they can never reach it.

Ideas?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

For the first go with a hoard.
Make it a bi-dimensional Hoard.
A door that can be opened both ways but once entered the second is closed off forever to limbo.
One hoard show might weapons and gold
The second powerful spells and magical rods and staves among the gold.
The group can decide which one to use and might even fight a bit as the magic user will want the magic items and spells while the fighters will want the magical armor and weapons.
A players dilemma
IXOYE