General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Can you dispel magnetism?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Here's a question...

Can you dispel magnetism? Let's say Trobriand, Halaster's apprentice who is a master of metal, creates a corridor of steel walls and magnetizes them. Anyone walking in will find their weapon and/or armor magnetized to the walls. Good luck pulling free while that monster comes down the hallway! :twisted:

But can dispel magic dispel the magnetic effect? I would argue no, because magnetism is a natural force, just like gravity. You cannot dispel magic on gravity, for example, or dispel a fire.

What say you all?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I guess part of the answer depends on HOW the magnetic force is being created. If it's not technology based, an anti-magic shell should at least provide protection. There precedence for an reverse magnetism spell to be created (though unless they know something, I doubt they would have done that) since reverse gravity exists. Dispel would only work if the source of the magnetism is magical AND within range. I'm sure you could make some form of magical generator and just not have it located near the actual magnets. (wires could conduct)

I seem to recall such a corridor existing in one of the old 1E modules, once a few people were rescued, it was a matter of placing all the metal inside a bag of holding and transporting it across. Of course dimension door could work too. Though you could defeat that sort of thing with some sort of dimensional anchor that prevents bags of holding and dimension doors to function :D

Mira (Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I'm having a mental block. Isn't there a magnetism spell in 2E? I thought it was in the PHB, but I can't find it.

I was planning on making it non-magical (failing that, I love your idea about keeping the magical source out of range of a dispel :twisted: ) so as to make it more challenging.

Of course, if Halaster recently applied a magical form of magnetism, the PCs would have to dispel against 29th level (actually, Halaster is being boosted to 35th level in this product), and even if Trobriand created the magnetic field, they'd have to dispel against 16th level (if using his original stats) or 21st level (where we have him now).

I prefer the challenge to be harder than merely casting a relatively low level dispel magic though, even if the chance of it succeeding is low.

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I'd be inclined to say that dispel magic will dispel the magnetism. While I love me some science I don't like to mix it into my D&D.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I think that makes it too easy a solution though, don't you? What I mean is that Trobriand's level is Level 6. If we allow dispel magic to work, then even a 6th level wizard will be able to easily overcome one of the major hurdles of that level. And that level should be impossible for 6th level PCs to survive. I'm hoping to make it more challenging.

Then again, considering the level they'd have to dispel against, maybe that isn't much of an easy solution after all. Not many PCs will be at Trobriand's level, and likely no one at Halaster's level (as spellcasters).

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Heating it should dispel it, at least temporarily.

Magnetism
(Alteration)
Reversible
Sphere: Elemental Earth

Level:4
Range: Touch
Components: V
Casting Time:7
Duration: 1 rd./level
Area of Effect: 1 object (6 cu.ft./level)
Saving Throw: Neg.

The magnetism spell imbues an object made of iron or steel with magnetic properties. The object attracts iron and steel items approaching within 30 feet. The caster can affect an object of up to six cuber feet per level of experience: thus, a 7th-level priest can affect an object 2x3x7 feet, about the size of a sarcophagus.

Missiles subject to magnetic forces are attracted to the magnetized object and deflected from their intended course. A creature holding an affected item must make a successful saving throw vs. spell each round while in the area of effect, or the item is torn loose and pulled to the magnetized object. An individual wearing affected armor or similar accoutrements must make a saving throw vs. spell each round or be drawn to the object. The force exerted by the magnetic force at the source is 25 pounds per caster level -- this can be used to determine if the magnetically attracted objects can be separated by main strength (see "Maximum Press" on the Strength table in the PHB).

the foregoing assumes the magnetized object is either solidly fixed or more massive than the attracted object. If the object is lighter and not anchored, then it instead moves toward the largest mass of magnetically active material in the area and adheres to it. While the exact effect of this depends on the size of the object, a magnetized object adhering to a weapon may make it difficult or impossible to use, while one adhering to armor may hinder movement or other actions. Typical penalties range from -1 to -4.

The reverse of this spell, demagnetize, can temporarily deactivate a source of magnetism up to 6 cubic feet in volume per caster level. Alternately, it can render one iron or steel object of similar size nonmagnetic for the spell's duration.

Notes: Very rare spell for priests with major access to the sphere of Elemental Earth.

==============
Magnets demagnetizing:
http://www.x-magnet.net/faq.html
=================

EDIT - I found the source of the spell finally: Magnetism (OA)
Oriental Adventures. No wonder I wasn't even close. I went through priest handbook, spells & powers, Tome of Magic and nothing. And once I saw the source listed my mind went: "AH YES, I REMEMBER READING THAT NOW."

Wu-Jen (Level 3)
Magnetism (Alteration) Reversible
Level: 3
Range: 6”
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 3 rounds/Level
Casting Time: 3 Segments
Area of Effect: 3” Radius
Saving Throw: Neg.

This spell can be used in two ways, depending on the desire of the wujen at the moment of casting. If cast upon himself, the spell gives the wujen the ability to draw iron and steel items to his hand upon command. The item must be in the area of effect. Up to one item can be thus called per round. If the item is held by another, that character is allowed a saving throw vs. spell to resist the effect. Repeated attempts can be made upon the same item, provided each attempt is made in a different round.

A wu jen could attempt to snatch weapon from the grasp of others or change the flight of arrows. If the item summoned has greater mass than the wu jen, the effect is opposite – the wu jen is drawn to the item. Attempting to magnetize a man in metal armor normally result in the wu jen being dragged to the target, not always a desirable result. The spell is powerful enough to even pull the wu jen through the air and can be an effective method of crossing chasm provided there is sufficient mass of iron on the other side.

If cast upon another, the victim is allowed a saving throw vs. spell to avoid the effect. Thereafter, all iron and steel items within 3” of the target are drawn to that point. Item in the possession of creatures allow the creature a saving throw as explained above. Again, if the mass of any item is greater than that of the target point, the direction of movement is reversed. In either use, weapons drawn by this spell cause no damage since ther are not wielded or controlled by a conscious mind. Ther material component for this spell is a piece of lodestone.

The reverse of this spell, demagnetize, cancels the effects of magnetism. The material component is a small wooden rod.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

And go mad typing skills since both pdf sources I had were picture version and not written. So notepad side by side to pdf. WOOT!

Side note:
Wu Jen I believe are oriental Mages while Shukenja are oriental priests of sorts.

This makes it an oddity on the spell so maybe the first version is a dragon magazine entry.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I'm gonna have so much fun writing Level 6 (Trobriand's Sanctum), it's gonna be sinful! :twisted: :twisted: