Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Bah... doubled. Where's that delete?
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

It's sprung back to life with a vengeance! :D

I'm just dreading the day I have to shell out hundreds of dollars for an artist.

#@ :evil:

But hell, there's no way I'm gonna draw the stuff myself. Gotta find an artist with a style similar to what Karl Waller did or at least that looks 2E.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

As of tonight (so far), 17 of the 26 Areas of Interest for Level 8 are done, and 13 of the 42 Core Rooms are done, with another 25 Core Rooms so far planned/partially detailed.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

As of tonight, 18 of the 43 Core Rooms are finished with 21 more having been planned and partially detailed. Also, 22 of the 26 Areas of Interest are finished, with an additional 1 planned and noted, the other 3 as yet undetermined.

Progress is good! :D

25 more Core Rooms and 4 Areas of Interest left. That's 29 areas/rooms in total needing to be done, with 2 of them already planned and/or partially done.

Considering there are 172 Core Rooms and Areas of Interest, that means we're 80% done! :D Keep in mind that just two months ago or so, we were at only 50% done. Maybe a bit less. Writing will almost certainly be done this summer. The maps I'm not sure about, but Govi is moving things along nicely. It may take a bit longer than the writing, but it will be worth it. Then it's just a matter of converting it all to PDF format. And of course, art. But I'll deal with that as we get closer.

I'm really, really pumped up with the idea that at the latest, this will be a massive Merry Christmas present to all! :D

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Actually, when you consider that all the new magical items, monsters and spells are done, and most of the introductory/supplemental material, we're closer to being 95%+ done! :D

slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I wait in eager anticipation for the day when I log on and see your post that says it is complete.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Trust me, I long for that day more than you can imagine! :)

And here's the latest update...

As of 5 minutes ago, all 26 Areas of Interest on Level 8 are done! :D

One is particularly fun in a psychologically depraved way. There is a room with a gate/teleport that says something about gaining freedom - "the type of freedom that only Halaster can grant". No one is going to use it, of course. But it leads from Level 8 to Room #1 on Level 1! Oh god, the irony is killing me! Probably fewer than 1 in 1,000 PCs would even consider using that teleport! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

23 rooms completed for Level 8, with 17 others planned and detailed, and another about to be completed tonight (I hope).

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Working on a major cavern on Level 8. This one will take a few days. It is DEADLY!!!! :twisted:

It's infested with demons (tanar'ri), who protect the entrance to one of Halaster's most prized possessions. :wink:

God, this room is NASTY! I mean, the PCs will really need to come up with superb battle tactics and recruit plenty of summoned or controlled help. A party of six 18th level characters would have a difficult time forcing their way through this particular area. Very tricky indeed! Level 8 is supposed to be deadly, and I've made it so - keeping in mind it must still be both fun and playable. But this particular room is the epitome of "Screw this, I'm not going down to Level 8 for any amount of treasure!".

This room isn't so much about dying or being killed by monsters or traps. This one, you can lose your soul. It's just vicious!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

This one is tough! I gotta coordinate the tactics of 4 different demon types (ok, tanar'ri if we use that damned silly 2E name). The problem here is not how to challenge the PCs, it's how not to make it too deadly for them to possibly survive. Add to the tanar'ri's already tough abilities the fact that they are able to use a gate set up by Halaster to gate in additional demons (otherwise their gate powers would not work in Undermountain), and there is a high potential for a TPK.

Of course, no one ever said Level 8 would be a cake walk. :twisted:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Sweet tail-sting of Orcus! This room was a nightmare to write! It can practically be a chapter of its own. I've been writing it for 12 hours now. Whew! I think it's done. I can, of course, use a few proof-readers to look over the room and see what they think. :wink:

Anyone interested? :twisted:

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

You looking for errors in grammar or errors in comparison to format as the original Undermountain? What happened to the crew that used to help? Garkel, etc....
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Not grammar or spelling, just how the room feels, is it a good room description, etc. Most of the old crew faded away. Some just disappeared from their online presence. Varl is the only active proofer we have now.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

As long as he's active and familiar with how you want it done in accordance to the original then that's probably good.

I was going to write a book some years back (modified version of my life - through the eyes of a crazed hobo. The first book never had much of a title and was based off me clearing the land on the property. The big bad enemy was the Bitch Weed Queen - a t ype of sticky weed that just grew everywhere. She had cohorts like Baron Briar (actually black berry bushes as briars are far bigger.. with his sniper vines that are low blackberry vines that tend to seek nice spots in the ground. They're actual plants that then burrow that vine into the ground and make new roots and then seed again. Annoying as hell and havoc on people on shorts or short socks). There's also Sgt. Scotty Broom (Scott's broom plant commander of the brush), Lord Thistle and Lt. Spike. Thistle plants one that is tall and one that is very low to the ground commanding the thistle forces. There's the Black Blight near the well that is a tangle of rotting vegetation and vines that lurk in the water pools and pulls things under to drown. Near there is the Gnarled Oak which is partially rotten roots but all oak and vile and mean. There are the savage hornets and t he shadow Buzzers (yellow jackets & bald faced hornets). There's the Pit spiders, the shed spider, the widows, the recluse. The Prince Pincer (master of the earwig army), flesh rippers (which are ants of sorts mostly fire type ants).

And there are good guys of sorts.. me known mostly as the old man hobo or Keighn (but that's hardly referenced except in the title), Sir Quacks-a-lot, a duck; the geese, my cats (Kismet, Sly, chance, Gem, Nye, Fuzzy), chickens, Burrow bunny (a rabbit that emulates the soldier from War of the World record), Uniden (another rabbit), the Sparrow Squad which is air support that tries to battle the hornet and spiders), Chubs an elderly black lab, Fortune, Bucky, Bitty the goats, clair a cow, Roswell the horse, other ducks and geese, and fowl including a turkey or 2.

The start was something like the intro to war of the worlds record or the fan and apocalypse now. My parents are basically dead (and this idea was long before what happened to me being exiles). I'm pretty much insane from my past and the property is in shambles. Each chapter is dedicated to a song in a long series of tracts on my MP3 player. It starts in the house which is far larger than what's really there (in the book I've not even written a chapter... its about 3 stories tall with a basement and root cellar that looks something like in Psycho. One chapter has me battling a raccon in the attic... uh lemme find a post that summarizes that chapter....

First book is on the property
Second book is after the Fine Steins (jewish neighbors) successfully get the property through dealing with drug dealers, hired assassins, and the police (by pure accident). He wanted the property for either oil, or some vein of gold and jewels. Later in the series you find out there's actually a burial ground and temple on the property.. eh.. book 3 or 4. The end of the first has what's left of the animals put to death by the pound, I end up shot, burned, and put in an asylum (music attributed to end of Rambo - long road or w/e). The druggies and shit are dead and there's explosions, fire, etc from some of the oddest ways. It's a wonder my character isn't dead. Throughout the book there are back and forths from various perspectives (mini chapters) The fine steins plotting, news reports or police drama or gang shit, a rapport between God & Satan playing chess and betting (aka think Job of the bible), an animals perspective or quest in the book, but mostly from the hobo's er myh characters struggles.

Each chapter is dedicated to a song and each an altered version is at the back of the book. There's also a random dream section in the back that you roll on a dice to see what the char.. er I dreamt. And I had the idea that each chapter had a code printed somewhere in the chapter (some gaming reference if it was ever big and made it to a movie or game)... odd thinking I know.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Ah here's a tidbit:

*Note: since no youtube tags here play the song on youtube and see how close my version of the lyrics match the melody and format..yeah they're off a bit.

I'll Kill you if you don't come back

{props go to MEAT LOAF LYRICS used - I'll Kill you if you don't come back for inspiration}

Reason for this is a raccoon is apparently living in the extra attic-like room and my investigations didn't go as planned.

RACCOONS
"I'll Kill You If You DO Come Back!"
(instrumentals)

Late at night half-asleep in my room, ... I realized I wasn't alone
I was blind in the dark, you were too bad to be good
But you were covered in fleas, chewing on a chicken bone
And I still don't believe the way you turned on me
You dodged the book that I threw!
I jumped from bed as you hid then you struck from above
Your bite foamed with bubbles, AH, infection sure ain't cool

You gave me rabies and more, brain worms infest your dry poo
You raided my home like a brute, making me look like a fool

How did you bite me, let me count the ways
How many shots in how many days
How does it amuse you, let me count the pain
How many racoons nesting night and day

[Chorus:]
How do you evade me, in such little space
Where are you hiding, then a scratch to my face
How did you come in, from a vent or a drain
What are you eating from the trash again?

You're huge, you're masked, and you love to attack
You're nothing all all but a furry thieving tree rat
In every way I want you out of my life
And I'll kill you if you DO come back, ... I'll kill you if you DO come back

In the mid of the night you used to crawl on me so close
And then you'd chitter that's right
And in the blink of an eye I'd throw you into the wall
And with a punch in the darkness you'd deliver a bite
And in the fit of the fight I hear you chittering so loud
I know you're laughing at me
NO it wasn't funny I was mad as I fell out in the aisle
The way I that fell caused you to run and then to get free

You gripped and bit into my balls, as I then crashed into you
You locked jaws like a shrew as I slipped on your pooo

[Chorus]
How does it amuse you, night and day
How many raccoons want to stay
How do you get in, let me find the ways
Where are you and how do you prey

I kicked your ass like a football and charged to attack
Then you leaped in the air and ripped into my back
In a furious way I grabbed and tossed you with all of my might
Now I'll kill you and make sure you don't come back, .... I'LL KILL YOU AND YOU WON'T COME BACK!!!

{Then the hobo leaped at the large raccon striking at its midsection crashing into it like a semi-truck. Wrestling in midflight towards the window much like Gandolf did with the Balrog it was a sight to be seen. With such force they burst through the attic window causing a tremendous CRASHING THUNDER that shattered the silence of the Finestein's nearby dinner party. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as images flashed through the hobo's brain and whilst the raccon clawed and bit him. Ever so close they plummeted from beyond the third story towards the advancing pavement below................. . . . . . . . . . .}

Somebody kill all the raccons up in the trees
They're dreamin' of attics and staying just out of reach

And kill all the raccoons before they attack
They're listening like brigands huddled into small packs

Kill all the raccoons dead on the streets
Turn em to roadkill and watch as they bleed

Kill all the raccoons in the light of the moon
Blow out their brains or crush them with an old broom

And kill all the startled raccoons stuck in a trance
They stare in the headlights as the car does advance

Kill all the raccoons who are always alone
They knock down your trashcans to get at the bones

Kill all the masked bandits lords of the night
They're looking for attics all warm and just right

And kill all raccoons that know what to scout
They hide and they dine until you then shout

And Kill all the masked bandits lords of the night
They're a vile and vicious evil dark blight

And kill all raccoons all scurrying about
They surge from forested hells from which they all sprout

I plan on to kill these raccons I never have met
But damn you and curse you after all that you've done
You're the raccoon I will always dread
You're the raccoon I'll never forget
Somebody kill all these raccons and everything that they do
But damn me and curse me for not slaying you

And I'll kill you if you do come back
And I'll kill you and you won't come back
(very faded..) And I'll kill and you won't come back
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

And the blog er posts that started all that inane stuff:
KEIGHN'S INSANITY WELCOMES YOU TO EUO!!!
slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I will proof read if you would like.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Site went quiet again. I'm thinking of finally buying all the Wizard under the mountain PDFs. It has the similar color scheme to Undermountain. Mostly this is just for archive purposes since I don't have access to my IRL paperwork. PDFs are fine but if you have nowhere to store the paperwork it kind of sucks.

Lamination. OMG! I friggin love laminating pictures. A simple 7.5x11 sheet of paper cost a few dollars to laminate at this Postal Annex place but damn its fine work. Better than the library in Veneta Oregon. I imagine some of the other places like kinkos or w/e do good as well.

I wonder if anyone has reprinted the undermountain poster maps and laminated them. Printing them in poster size is great but to keep them protected lamination is the bomb. Roll up and keep in one of the art cases. If I was well to do... or could go back in time; I'd laminate all my posters I ever had. A pet cat can destroy stuff.... and that sucks.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Things will maybe pick up a bit now that fall has...er, fallen. :lol:
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Well, that calls for an overdue update! :D

Things have been quiet on the surface. But behind the scenes it's been crazy busy. Mostly because I decided it was time to start working for myself and start a new business! And man is that difficult! Especially when I have to rely on others for some aspects of the endeavor (such as website design). I had one person who was sort of a friend (no longer) who was supposed to be doing the business website for me and he tuned out to be a worthless slacker who was only good at making (unfulfilled) promises. So I had to do the website myself, which sucked out every spare moment of my life for weeks. On top of the month wasted by that asshole. :evil:

Well, he just screwed himself out of thousands and thousands of dollars in referral business I was prepared to send him, plus all the bad reviews he's about to get. Yes, karma is a bitch when it comes to Halaster administering it! :twisted:

Anyway, it's been a long couple of months, and I've discovered that developing classes is far more difficult than teaching them. I'm set up for teaching several different classes so far, with two more under development. The Active Shooter/Terrorist Interdiction class is going to be a real gem. But I'm starting to believe that writing a coherent curriculum on the topic and making it all fit into a 2 day seminar format is more difficult than being in an actual terrorist attack and almost as stressful! :shock:

Time management is going to become the buzzword for the rest of this year. Hardcore!

But the good news is that over the coming holiday season (which for me begins Oct. 1st - Halloween Season through the New Year - it's a 3 month holiday, literally) I should be able to get a lot more done. Especially after I start teaching some of these classes. If I pack just 20 people in a class over the weekend, that puts over $3,000 in my pocket. Makes things a lot easier when I can stop working one of the side jobs, and it opens up a LOT more time to write!

So look forward to some new updates and hopefully having the writing wrapped up by the end of the year. :D

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Well, congrats and good luck. New businesses are the heart and soul of America and its a great pursuit. Sounds like this could help you out tremendously.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

That's awesome, Hal! Are you giving the class or just writing the carriculum?
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Thanks everyone!

Well, the concealed carry class and two other gun classes are being taught using the curriculum from the USCCA. I'm writing the curriculum for the other two classes, one dealing with situational awareness, the other with active shooter/terrorist interdiction.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

This election cycle has been exhausting as well, trying to wake up the zombies from their somnambulant state of ignorance. If I had to teach a class on psy-ops and propaganda, I could create a four-semester course just out of the crap being peddled by CNN this year so far. To me, someone who has studied this stuff for a very, very long time, the techniques pop out so obviously and blatantly that I can pretty much cite the source chapter and verse. It's as obvious as rolling a natural 20 while shining a spotlight on it - sorta hard to miss. For those who are not trained in the material, it goes over their heads. When I show these things to people and they bother to look at it without a shut-down brain, their eyes start to pop out.

I need a drink. No, really. I never drink. Closest I come is some marsala wine in a chicken recipe, and sometimes a tiny glass of champagne on New Year's Eve (if I'm at a celebration at the time). But good lord, I may hit the hard liquor on Tuesday! :shock:

Hmmm. Forget that. I may need a potent tranquilizer - like what they use to knock out tigers and lions!

#@

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I'm still in shock by the results but I'm glad it's over! The only small silver lining is that I am a big time gun guy so I feel a little better about that.