General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Latest update on Ruins of Undermountain III

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok folks, work on Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels continues! :D

Much of my free time was being taken up by my current campaign, which took priority over writing since I wanted to game more than write! :? However, due to schedule conflicts, the campaign is pretty much on hold, which means I'm free to focus on our project. It's probably for the best. I had only 1 player, and the game was distracting me from this project too much.

So...here's the latest news!

First, Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels is going to cover a little more ground than originally anticipated. What does that mean? Well, originally we planned on detailing Level 7, Level 8, and a major Sub-Level. However, while designing the Adventure Booklet portion, it hit me that the adventures could be based on smaller sub-levels, which means covering more material. In other words, the 3 adventures detailed in the Adventures Booklet will each take place on their own small sub-level.

One of the sub-levels is going to be called the Level of the Damned, and that name has a lot of deep meaning and homage and all sorts of special implications. I can't explain more than that. It was based off an original idea for a particular area, but thinking it over I decided that the idea didn't warrant a very large sub-level. Originally, I conceived of the Level of the Damned as a vast cavernous sub-level. However, the new idea works better and keeps it as a manageable sub-level similar in size to the published Lost Level adventure by TSR/WOTC.

The Level of the Damned is also part of an homage I am working into the project. It is in regards to the first party I ever ran through Undermountain when I first got my evil hands on that magnificent boxed set all those years ago. :twisted: I ran a party of close friends through it, in our first Forgotten Realms campaign. Unfortunately, several of the original PCs died. Some were raised and went on adventuring. Others were stuck forever dead. So, I am working them into the history of Undermountain for this release in honor of that first intrepid group who dared face my Undermountain DMing. :twisted:

Without giving away too much, those characters (or rather, their remains and effects) are going to be incorporated into this release in honor of them. The Level of the Damned is perhaps the most perfect tribute and the most poignant of them all.

So, Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels will now cover two main levels (Level 7 and Level 8 ), a major sub-level (the name of which I cannot at this point reveal), and three smaller sub-levels (one of which is called the Level of the Damned). Quite a lot of area covered!

Some things change as I write, and new stuff gets added. This is a list of what is being included (material which is currently completed, although the list will grow somewhat):

30 new magical items (including a couple of artifacts and relics)
36 new monsters
36 new spells (including a priestly quest level spell)
12 new NPCs
162 developed rooms

I will probably add 6 new magic items since I want some appearing on the Adventures sub-levels, and it would be cool to have an even 3 dozen each of new monsters, spells, and magic items.

The developed rooms stat includes both Areas of Interest (essentially smaller, more minor rooms) and Core Rooms (major rooms). Typically the Areas of Interest are labeled A-Z on each level, while the Core Rooms are numbered 1-whatever.

Keep in mind several things:

1. Many of the rooms are multiple-roomed areas. For example, on Level 7, there is a Room #1A - #1H, which means the complex called "Room #1" consists of 7 different actual rooms, labeled 1A - 1H. Since each of these are really mainly full sized rooms (it's usually done as, for example, #1A-#1D since the rooms are so closely connected) we need to count those as 60 extra rooms, which brings the total developed room count to 222.

2. We also have to keep in mind that we are adding at least 15 "plug and play" rooms that are generic (though highly detailed) developed rooms that are designed to be able to be dropped in anywhere, on any level, to "fill" up any undeveloped areas the PCs may run into. So that ups the number of rooms to 237.

3. I do not have a room count for the two minor sub-levels since they are not fully designed yet, but assume about 30 more rooms (roughly 10 per sub-level), which brings it up to 267 developed rooms. :shock:

Yeah, it's gonna be a big-ass PDF book! :lol:

Level 7 is complete. The major sub-level is a bit more than half complete (by complete I mean the rooms in their total, final developed stage, fully details and formatted) since all the areas of interest are done, as are more than half the core rooms, and Level 8 is in its rough draft phase, with most room planning complete, and sketches of each room just needing final writing and detailing. But a vast majority of the material is done room-wise.What's mainly left is converting development notes and details into final prose form.

I'm going to wrap up the major sub-level next, since there's so little work left to do on it.

After that, I will wrap up Level 8 and then the 3 sub-level adventures.

And then we are done.

Well, as soon as we manage the art and mapping that needs completing, but we'll get to that.

#@

After not looking at the material in a while, then going over it all with a fine tooth comb once more to proof it and catch up on where I'm going with everything (and to put me in the mood to work on it), I must say - while it is generally considered uncouth to toot one's own horn, I just gotta toot mine a bit here. :P :lol:

I really am very proud of the material and feel good about it. It's some of my best work ever. And I'm hyper-critical of my own work. I'm brutal. If it sounds good (or even really good) to someone else, but I'm not feeling good about it, I call it crap and re-do it until they fall over looking at the revision and call it "great". So rest assured, this is me giving it my all.

I can't wait to release this beast. It's so hard to be patient, and so tempting to put it out piecemeal (one level at a time), but when I think about the overwhelming overall impact the full product will make, it just gives me the patience to wait it out no matter how bad that looks to some critics who ask "why is it taking so long". When I put it out, I'll be able to say "let me see you put out something of this size and quality in less time and still work and go to school". And eat. And sleep. LOL!

Anyway, just a heads-up to let you all know we're not giving up. I worked on Memorial Day and got paid double time to basically sit on my laptop and work on the project. I love it when I can actually get paid for writing a free product for once! :lol:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

That is great news! :lol:
IXOYE
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Very cool! Good excuse for the delay...having a gaming group, that is. Wish I had a good group around here. #@
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

Awesome awesome news! :D

If you need illustrations on any of the 36 beasties, I'd be more than happy to provide (I have an itch to etch!)
Beowulf wrote:Wish I had a good group around here. #@
I know the feeling Beowulf.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

In a way I feel like I'm wasting a summer! #@ There's just a short few months til school starts again, and here I am not gaming. :|
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Hmmm. I probably should move this topic to the RoUIII forum, since it's about that project specifically. Eh.

Anyway, good news. Got about 4 new rooms completed and finalized in the past week, and 3 more outlined. Getting on a regular schedule here and learning to force that relaxation response that allows me to write effectively. So hopefully we can wrap the writing up this summer, then convert it all to PDF and then all we need is the cartographic updates and some art and we can release it. It would be a real special treat if we can offer the finalized product in time for Christmas this year! :D

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Yeah, that would be sweet!!! :)
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:...then convert it all to PDF and then all we need is ... and some art...
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but a week ago I offered to do more art work for you, and you are still saying you are looking for an artist and yet I haven't heard from you if you wish me to participate.

I'll completely understand if you're not a fan of my style of work or with the work I have sent and do not wish me to do any more. Just let me know and I won't ask any more. I hate to bother you with continuous art requests when you are no longer interested.

I won't hold a grudge, nor be upset. Not everyone likes what everyone creates. It's part of the art world.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Tarrax, I did write you back. Do you remember the email about trying to re-do the black cube monster? I think we had 2 that needed tweaking, one being the black cube (which is gonna be a bitch no matter what since it's being done in B&W line drawing, which makes it a real pain in the ass to render). I'll try resending it if you didn't get it.

But I do think we need several artists at this point simply because of the sheer work load. Aside from 36 pieces of monster art, we need another 30-40 pieces of room art for the main book and I don't know how much for the adventure booklet (probably another 10-12 pieces).

We definitely need a cartographer. I'm making changes to the maps as I write and it's getting very difficult to Photoshop it.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I noticed telepathy thing in other thread. I'll see what I can do after I finish brother with move from Kansas to Columbia Missouri. MOVING SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Uggg, I hate moving too!
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Very weird. I just checked my gmail and I do have the sent image of the up dated cube (entirely black with light reflections on the edges) back on Jan 19th of this year. That was the last thing sent. I don't have any emails from you at either account (yahoo and gmail).

I can do the rooms and monsters. It's not a problem for me. In fact it will get me to drawing more often like I used to do. So the workload would not be a problem. Once I get my sights set, I go gangbusters.

Here's my art account only email: tarrax.ironwolf79@gmail.com

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

tappy... tappy ... tappity tap... tap tap tap ... tappity tap... tappity tap .. tapity tapity .. tap tap tap.....

"A CHA CHA CHA BABY!!!!!!"

I know I know.... so cliché.. but tis an original cept the monster... its from an old game.
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

:shock: :D

I love it
IXOYE
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

God moving never ends.. and its not my crap! WHY GOD WHY?!?!
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Tawnos76 wrote::shock: :D

I love it
I'm with Tawnos on this one. That is pretty cool.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Tis from this game:

Actual image which no one has bothered putting up looks far different and I can't say its better but possibly more comical and worse. 80s go figure.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Got two questions - what is that monster and can I use it in the dungeon? :twisted:

Tarrax, I got your email address saved. Sometime in the next week (as soon as I get time to go over it), I'll send you an update on art needed. Can you try resending me the modified black cube to my halaster(at)undermountain(dot)org account?

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

It is called a Piedez and Lemme see if I actually brought any notes on it. If I could hack into the rom I'd draw out the information and I certainly don't have my c64. Sadly no one has written anything about it or done a full game walkthrough with weapons/mobs/spells for that ancient game. I wish I could remember the abilities it had. Not sure if the rom works all that well. Oh, for not having a c64 at hand with the group of characters that finished the game.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I've always wondered why not more of the old artwork wasn't saved as posters. Boxes always fuck up the originals. Still looking for info... seems no one ever wanted to write something up. The hint book that came with the game doesn't have monsters in it.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Bah, old notes back in Oregon. I'm boned.
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Tarrax, I got your email address saved. Sometime in the next week (as soon as I get time to go over it), I'll send you an update on art needed.

Excellent! Looking forward to it! :D YAY! Oh Happy day!
Can you try resending me the modified black cube to my halaster(at)undermountain(dot)org account?
Done and done!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Sorry Hal, the emulation of ROD was always sketchy.... just won't work. I tried Vice and Gb64 and nada. Maybe if I Find an apple II emulation of it. Totally ticks me off.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Always a challenge, McDeath! That's what makes this adventure so much fun! :lol:

Tarrax, got the new black cube, and I like it a lot! Going over some stuff now and will be sending you some other updates along with some new monsters we need detailed. These will be fun, trust me! :twisted: